The Center for Podiatric Care and Sports Medicine is one of New York City’s best-equipped facilities for the treatment and prevention of acute and chronic running injuries. Our Manhattan office opened in 1990, founded by Dr. Josef J. Geldwert, who is a doctor of podiatric sports medicine, board-certified foot, and ankle surgeon, and an avid long-distance runner himself.
Dr. Geldwert Has Extensive Experience In Treating Running Injuries!
Every year, Dr. Geldwert treats injuries at the Hamptons Marathon, NYC Triathlon, Bridgehampton Half Marathon, NYC Ironman, and Westchester Toughman Triathlon. He also served as the Chief of Podiatry for the New York Road Runners Club and is a consulting podiatrist for the Central Park Track Club. Geldwert has also worked with elite athletes on the medical advisory committee for the US Olympic Marathon Trials. We have treated thousands of runners over the years.
Most Common Running Injuries We Treat
Running is a high-risk sport for pain, foot ailments, and injuries. We routinely treat issues including:
- Shin splints
- Plantar fasciitis
- Stress fractures
- Compound fractures
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome
- Muscle strain
- Foot and ankle sprains
- Toenail injuries
- Tendinitis & Achilles tendon ruptures
- Hip and knee problems related to gait
- Excess pronation or supination
Are You At Risk For A Running Injury?
Recent research suggests that pronation doesn’t cause running injuries. However, you are at increased risk for running injuries if you:
- Run over 600 miles a year
- Have a BMI over 30
- Are weak in the hips
- Habitually strike heavy with your heels
- Do a lot of Tempo work to race faster
- Do not participate in other sports or strength-train
- Possess an “easygoing, laid-back” personality
- Are between the ages of 45 and 65
- Suffered previous injuries
Running Injury Treatments
Our skilled podiatrists offer state-of-the-art care including these cutting-edge therapies:
- Focused Aspiration of Scar Tissue
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation
- Computerized Orthotics Scanning
- Gait Analysis
- MLS Laser
- MIX5 Therapy Laser
We generally reserve surgery as a last resort, but should you need it, our board-certified foot and ankle surgeons have performed thousands of surgeries at Beth Israel Medical Center, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, and White Plains Hospital. You’ll find the support you need for a lengthy recovery from our compassionate, dedicated team.
Tips For Preventing Running Injuries
To reduce your risk of a running injury, we recommend that you:
- Wear the right shoes for your foot type
- Make sure your shoes fit
- Replace your shoes every 300-400 miles
- Cross-train in low-impact sports like swimming and elliptical machine workouts
- Hit the weights twice a week to strengthen your calves, quads, hips, and core
- Don’t increase mileage or intensity by more than 10% per week
- Spend some time running on softer terrain like grass or dirt
- Stay alert and keep an eye on the road ahead to avoid a fall
- Don’t train through the pain
We’d be happy to discuss the finer points of this advice with you in person.
Call Our NYC Running Injury Experts
After your next run through Central Park, why not run right into our sports medicine center? We are located at 111 East 88th Street in Manhattan, in the Upper Eastside’s Carnegie Hill neighborhood. Runners appreciate our attentiveness and commitment to their long-term health. Our gait analysis center helps us discover the underlying cause of your injuries, while advanced treatments like Platelet-Rich Plasma, shockwave, and laser therapy reduce pain and speed up running injury recovery.